I have been asked if I could make a rainbow cake, I actually havent tried one before, it looks very lovely and sweet, I was very excited making the colours, the colours inside definitely make everyone really happy 😀
7 egg yolks
70g cold water
70g melted butter
100g plain flour
20g corn flour
2 tbp vanilla bean paste
7 egg whites
500g whipping cream or double cream
red, yellow, green, blue and purple food colouring (you can get orange from red and yellow)
6 x 6 inches baking tin, greased (you prob need double amount of the ingredients for a 8 inches cake)
1. Stir egg yolks with sugar, add cold water and melted butter, stir well.
2. Sift in plain flour and corn flour gradually, mix until well combined.
3. Measure the mixture, divide it into 6 equal portions and put them into seperate bowls. (Mine could divide into around 70g for each portion)
4. Add 1 colour into 1 bowl, another colour into another bowl until you get all the desired rainbow colours.
5. Preheat oven to 180C degree.
6. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until fluffy, then gradually add in the sugar and whisk until very stiff.
7. Measure the egg white mixture, divide it into 6 equal portions and put them into the colour mixture bowls. (Mine could divide into around 65g for each portion) Gently fold the colour mixture with the egg white.
8. Pour each colour into a baking tin.
9. Bake for 15-20 mins until done. Leave on wiring rack to cool and remove from the baking tin.
10. Whisk whipping cream with sugar until soft peak forms, sandwich each layer with some cream and pipe ruffle laces for decoration.
11. Chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours before serving.