Fresh and simple dessert for the British strawberry season.
Strawberry Mousse Cake
200g Strawberry puree
15g caster sugar
200g whipped cream
5g leaf gelatin
Génoise (Sponge Cake)
60g caster sugar
1.5 tsp water
60g cake flour
20g melted butter
6 half sphere moulds
8-inch rectangle brownie pan (large enough to cut out 6 smaller circles cake with the same diameter of the individual half-sphere mould will do)
For the Sponge Cake
1. Line the brownie pan with greased parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).
2. Beat eggs and sugar with wire whisk in a metal bowl over a pan of hot water.
3. Beat the batter on high speed for about 7 minutes until white and fluffy with an electric mixer.
4. Add water and sift in flour, whisk for about 3 minutes on low speed to incorporate.
5. Fold in melted butter until well combined
6. Spread the batter in the brownie pan and drop the pan lightly on the counter to raise the air bubbles out of the batter.
7. Bake at 180C (350F) for 20-25 minutes till lightly brown. (cooking time may differ depend on the heat of the oven)
8. When it’s done, drop the pan lightly to prevent shrinking. Remove the sponge cake from the pan by lifting the parchment paper and place it on a wire rack to cool.
9. When it’s cool enough, remove the parchment paper and place the sponge cake on the parchment paper with the brown side up. Cut out 6 circles of cake slices with the same diameter of the individual half-sphere mould.
For the Strawberry Mousse
1. Boil half of the strawberry puree with the sugar until sugar is dissolved.
2. Remove from heat, add and stir softened gelatine until dissolved.
3. Mix in the other half of strawberry puree.
4. Add whipped cream and stir well to light pink strawberry mousse.
5. Fill the moulds to 4/5 full of chocolate mousse. Place the cake slides onto the mousse, gentle press to let the mousse stick around the sides of the cakes. Fridge 7 hours or overnight to set.
6. Gently un-mould the cakes, decorate and serve.