Wooop wooop wooop, spring has finally come ❤ flowers are blooming, cherry blossom appeals to me the most as always, there are several blossom trees around St. Paul’s where my office is, it is very delightful to sit under the cherry blossom trees, listen to the birds sing and enjoy the sweet scent of spring ❤
Cherry Blossom Sakura Soufflé Cake Roll 桜のロールケーキ
For the Sponge Cake
20g pickled sakura cherry blossom 桜花漬
60g caster sugar
2 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoon cherry blossom honey syrup
50g plain flour
2 tablespoon melted butter
For the Strawberry and Whipped Cream Filling
200g whipping cream
3 tablespoon caster sugar
3 tablespoon cherry blossom honey syrup
200g chopped strawberry
9-inch square brownie pan
Sponge Cake Roll
1. Soak the pickled sakura cherry blossom in a bowl of water for at least 4 hours to remove the salt from the pickle. Dry the cherry blossom on kitchen paper.
2. Line the brownie pan with greasproof parchment paper, put the cherry blossom on the paper. Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).
3. Place eggs and sugar with in a large metal bowl over a pan of hot water, beat on high speed for about 7 minutes until white and fluffy with an electric mixer.
4. Fold in milk and syrup until combined.
5. Sift in flour and whisk for about 3 minutes on low speed to incorporate.
6. Stir in melted butter until combined.
7. Spread the batter in the brownie pan and drop the pan lightly on the counter to raise the air bubbles out of the batter.
8. Bake at 180C (350F) for 12-15 minutes till lightly brown.
9. When it’s done, remove the sponge cake from the pan by lifting the parchment paper and place it on a wire rack to cool.
9. When it’s cool enough, remove the parchment paper and place the sponge cake on the parchment paper with the brown side up.
1. Whisk whipping cream, syrup and sugar on high speed in a bowl until stiff.
2. Coat the surface of the sponge cake evenly with the cream. Line the chopped strawberries in the middle over the creamed surface.
3. Roll and wrap the cake in the parchment paper and put in a fridge for at 1 hour to set.
4. Remove the wrap and enjoy!
Here are some cherry blossoms around St. Paul’s in London