I dont like wasting food, I always want to use up the egg yorks after separating the egg whites to make macarons, I find a simple recipe to make this creamy dessert.
Recipe adapted from Cafe Munchkin
Flan De Leche (Creme Caramel)
8 large egg yolks
1 can evaporated milk
1 can condensed milk
1 cup sugar and just enough water to give the sugar the consistency of wet sand for the caramel
a 8-inch round cake pan (I used 8 heart-shaped mould)
1. Caramelize the sugar on a heavy-bottomed stainless steel pan. Once you’ve got the sugar caramelized to a nice golden amber, coat the bottom and a portion of the sides as well of an 8-inch round pan with the caramel. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, gently whisk the eggs. Then add the condensed milk and evaporated milk.
3. Whisk some more until the ingredients are well blended. Do not overmix to avoid bubbles.
4. Strain the mixture then transfer to the pan with caramelized sugar.
5. Cover the pan/mould with aluminum foil and place in a steamer.
6. Steam for 45-60 minutes, testing for doneness with a toothpick. Alternatively, you can cook your leche flan in the oven. Place the pan on a water bath and bake at 350F. Test for doneness at 45 minutes. This may take a wee bit longer.
7. When it’s done, let cool then chill in the refrigerator.