I had 3 egg whites left after making custard, by coincidence I then saw pictures of Meringue Kisses on the internet, I made these elegant little meringues straight away ✽
makes 100 meringues
3 large egg whites
Pinch of salt
90g caster sugar
1 tbsp vanilla bean paste/extract
90g icing sugar, sifted
Pastel pink and lilac liquid food colour (or colours of your choice)
plastic piping bag
star piping nozzle
1. Preheat oven to 80°C. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
2. Whisk egg whites and pinch of salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed.
3. Sprinkle the sugar into the mixture gradually when the whites thicken. Be careful not to over-whisk.
4. Add the vanilla bean paste/extract and gently fold in the icing sugar using a rubber spatula.
5. Divide the mixture into 3 bowls. One bowl white as it is, mix the second bowl with pink food colour and the third with lilac food colour.
6. Place a star nozzle in a piping bag, fill with the first bowl white coloured mixture.